On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:20:19AM -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
} Gregory Seidman wrote:
[...]
} >This depends, of course, on the dylib(s) in the Qt/Mac framework being
} >drop-in replacements for the X11-based shared libraries; I don't know
} >whether that is the case.
}
} I can guarantee they won't be binary-compatible.  One will be linked
} against the X11 libraries and one won't.  You won't be able to just take
} your X11-compiled Qt applications and run them with Qt/Mac.

The Qt shared library for X11 links against the X11 libraries, but a Qt app
doesn't link against them directly, does it? The app would link against the
Qt libraries, which would link against either the Carbon framework or the
X11 libraries, depending on which version it is.

} Qt is source-compatible, but is not binary-compatible.  And because of
} the way their build system works, even if the library looked the same
} the "platform" would be different and Qt would refuse to load plugins
} because of ABI issues.
[...]

Er, are you sure of that? The libraries would be compiled with the same
compiler on the same host platform. The public classes have the same
methods and would be laid out the same way by the compiler. The difference
I'm worried about is the difference between a dylib and a .so, and I'm not
sure there is one.

} Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
--Greg