Dear Matt Richardson:

Carbon Copy Cloner uses something called psync, which is like rsync except it respects resource forks. Hopefully nothing
in /sw needs this, so rsync should be able to work fine. But it can't hurt to use psync.

For what it is worth I routinely copy the whole /sw directory onto other machines.

All you should have to do is install X11 (apple or whatever), install developer tools, and then copy over /sw.

In fact I am so lazy that I only update one fink installation and then I have a weekly psync cron job copy my /sw directory to other computers rather than update each individual separately. I also take a copy of /sw home to update my home computer which talks to the world only through a sluggish modem. I also stick this on my G3 ibook, and even though I have loads of science stuff compiled on a dual processor G4, everything works absolutely fine (albeit slowly) on the G3 except the 32-bit version of rasmol, but now we have the 8-bit version and that works fine.

I put a web page here on various backup options. I hope it might be of use:

http://chemistry.ucsc.edu/%7Ewgscott/xtal/backup_X_and_fink.html

Having said that, your boss should buy you a G5 with a 23" screen.

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: VM Ware With VMware you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine. WITHOUT REBOOTING! Mix Linux / Windows / Novell virtual machines at the same time. Free trial click here:http://www.vmware.com/wl/offer/358/0 _______________________________________________ Fink-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users