At 11:18 +0100 14.1.2004, Martin Costabel wrote:
On 14 janv. 2004, at 09:21, Tero Siili wrote:

This is a crossposting to scitech and fink-users lists.

I use OS X 10.3.2, have developer tools installed and use g77 as my Fortran 77 compiler. I have need to use the Hierarchical Data Format (HDF) library (v. 4.1) on OS X, the library being linked to some Fortran 77 code. Under Jaguar I was able to install the library via fink, but the code refused to link, apparently since the JPEG library was not found. Now - under Panther - I can not even find the hdf entry under FinkCommander or "fink list". Hence, I am unable to download and install the library - at least via fink.

Hmm, the Fink package database shows that hdf (and hdf5) is available for Panther, even in precompiled binary form, see http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/hdf

Yes, the page lists the version 4.1r5-13 being available, but the page does not show a download link that I could use directly. HDF should be downloadable via fink, hence I am not sure such a download link even should be there.

I would need some info and advice as to how people have perhaps been able to install and use HDF, especially with g77 (I use g77 and HDF under linux with no major problems). Is it possible, that HDF is already installed, but I simply do not know how to take it into use?

I cannot help with using it, but if you run "fink list -i hdf" or "dpkg -l hdf" from the command line, you will see if it is installed. If you don't even see it with "fink list hdf", your updating of Fink to Panther must have gone wrong.

It does not show.

Check if /sw/fink/dists is a symlink to 10.3

It is not a symlink, but the directories appear to be identical (as far as sizes and time stamps are concerned).

and that /sw/etc/fink.conf has a "Distribution: 10.3" line.

It has.

Did you run "fink selfupdate"?

I did. Again now. No effect that I can detect.

Fink is version 0.6.2.

Incidently, HDF 4.2r0 seems to be available on the HDF pages directly for the OS X, so this may be resolved thus, without fink.

But, help may still be needed...

Tero Siili

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Perforce Software. Perforce is the Fast Software Configuration Management System offering advanced branching capabilities and atomic changes on 50+ platforms. Free Eval! http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html _______________________________________________ Fink-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users