What would be the big difference between a mirror that serves up all of the dist-files via BT and
an FTP server doing the same thing?

I don't know much about BT, but it seems to me that any kind of bandwidth amplification that
you get from other users is a good thing. Even if it's a distribution mesh between the mirrors,
that would be a good first step.

Tony