On Jul 25, 2004, at 10:07 PM, Tara Ingram Hudson wrote:

More information

I tried these steps from command line instead of in FinkCommander

1. fink scanpackages
2. fink index
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
5. fink index
6. fink selfupdate
7. fink update-all
8. fink scanpackages

As #6 ran, lots of code spit out. The last few lines look suspect but I'm not sure what to do about it.....
The following package will be installed or updated:
fink
/bin/rm -rf fink-0.20.5-1
/bin/mkdir -p /sw/src/fink-0.20.5-1
gzip -dc /sw/src/fink-0.20.5.tar.gz | /sw/bin/tar -xf -
make test
Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/Services.pm line 398.
### execution of make failed, exit code -1
Failed: compiling fink-0.20.5-1 failed

Similarly with #7.....
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
/bin/rm -rf fink-0.20.5-1
/bin/mkdir -p /sw/src/fink-0.20.5-1
gzip -dc /sw/src/fink-0.20.5.tar.gz | /sw/bin/tar -xf -
make test
Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/Services.pm line 398.
### execution of make failed, exit code -1
Failed: compiling fink-0.20.5-1 failed

~ Tara

Hate to tell you this, but it's in the FAQ:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/comp-general.php#missing-make

----------

I've looked thru the FAQ and archives. I am an entirely new user of Fink and of open source in general, so the answer might be under my nose and I'm not seeing it.

I am on OSX 10.3.4. I installed Fink and FinkCommander (FC) to install GnuCash 1.8.8 two weeks ago. The install went beautifully. For the original install (and compile I assume?), I used 2 steps in FC: 1) Source->Selfupdate-rsync and  2) select gnucash and run Binary->Install.  That's it. FC managed all the dependancies, etc.

Now I need to upgrade GnuCash 1.8.9. Right now FC shows that installed version is 1.8.8-12, latest version is 1.8.9-14, and binary version is 1.8.8-12.  So FC knows about the updated package.

When I Binary > Install I get "Sorry, gnucash is already the newest version."  And when I Binary > Run in Terminal > Update and then Upgrade I get "0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded."

Any help much appreciated!

~ Tara

As you've discovered now, the updated version is only available by building from source. In general, you need to have the Developer Tools (XCode Tools on Panther) when you try to install from source.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documentarian