As promised, over the weekend I re-tried Fink. The virtual packages were there as promised, X11 did not recompile and Gaim and xmms worked! This is the goal I was trying to achieve - have Gaim and other GTK+ apps work properly (i.e. show fonts and menus) I will now retry the process on the eMac where Gaim and other GTK+ apps aren't working. Perhaps the order of installation may matter - i.e. in the past I installed xmms before gaim. I know it shouldn't matter but perhaps it does in that xmms installs an older version of gtk. While that seems close to superstitious behavior, I will do the same order of operations on the eMac and see if in fact it works there as well. There may be some other explanation but I already tried reinstalling Fink on that machine to no avail - of course this was a few months ago so there may be some other bug fixes that resolved the problem. And of course this time I will first check the virtual packages to make sure everything was installed properly.

Thanks for all the help.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by OSTG. Have you noticed the changes on Linux.com, ITManagersJournal and NewsForge in the past few weeks? Now, one more big change to announce. We are now OSTG- Open Source Technology Group. Come see the changes on the new OSTG site. www.ostg.com _______________________________________________ Fink-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users