On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 16:04, Viv Kendon wrote:
> > Apologies, the "not seeing xaw3d-1.5-8" was due to the
> > "dists" link still pointing to 10.2-gcc3.3 -- fink.conf was
> > correct, but the link had persisted.  I think this means I
> > got the upgrade process right on my dual G4 at work, but
> > missed that step on my TiBook at home.  Can't check because
> > G4 is stuck in a box until October (I'm moving jobs...)
> >
> > I will now go away and get the recompiling done...
> >
> > BTW, is this supposed to be in the FAQ/docs?  I had a quick
> > look in the fink website and could find plenty about
> > upgrading fink on various flavours of OSX, but couldn't
> > find the instructions for how to upgrade OSX over an
> > up-to-date fink.
> >
> > thanks for the help as always,
> > -- Viv
> >
> <snip>  It's there:
>
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php#wrong-tree

That's OK once you've realised you have a problem, but I
didn't for some time because if you've got fink.conf correct
but the dists link wrong, pretty much nothing gets updated
so errors don't show up: self-update is fetching the correct
tree, but installing is using the (not updated) old one.  I
looked in the "installing and updating fink"  sections
hoping to find out what to do when updating OSX and didn't
find mention of it, though it must be a fairly common thing
people need to do.  I then didn't recognise the heading in
the FAQ (new developer tools) as also describing my
situation (new version of OSX which includes new dev tools
but that's not the main way I was thinking about it...)

As ever, seems like all the info is there, but maybe could
use another pointer to it under the downloads section (where
the upgrade matrix lives) and under FAQ 4 about upgrading
fink.  I didn't scan through FAQ 5 on using fink because I
thought I had an upgrade problem...

cheers,
-- Viv