Am I imagining things, or is Apple turning more into a money-grubbing tightwad?

Hadn't visited the Apple Developer Connection website in a while, so I popped
in to check what's new. First off, I'm greeted with a new licensing agreement
that you must agree to. Then, if I understood everything correctly, there's a
whole new membership tier arrangement. The "Online" membership, apparently
still free for now, gives you the ADC newsletter and just access to XCode
updates but nothing else. "Select" strikes your wallet at $500/year and gets
you a few more goodies. "Premier" really looks like a Marine assault on your
finances, to the tune of $3,500/year so you really must work your butt off to
overcome that hemorrhage; ah, but you get "free" tickets to the WDC... And
there's also a "Student" version at $99/year, but you must be a bona-fide
student to qualify.

Has this just been a change of name, or is ADC going full-commercial in the
near term? Might have misunderstood the legalese, but it seemed to me that the
Online membership now offers much less resources than it used to, and all the
others have gone up in price.

If my suspicions are true, what does this bode for Fink?  If all of us
source-based users will now have to pay big bucks for the compilers & tools,
will we have to become binary leeches and depend on the goodwill and hardiness
of a few top developers willing to foot the costs? Can somebody please explain
all this mess to me?

J. Courcoul