I had gnome running great for several weeks. A couple of days ago I ran a whole long list of updates to OS X (security, quicktime, java, and others... like 15 or so).

Then today, I go to use the GIMP and I can't get Gnome to fully get going. I see the gnome desktop appear and my icons are on it as usual, but no taskbar/dock (or whatever it's called in gnome) and no windows will open when i double-click on folder icons. When I look back at the Terminal.app window that i used to launch startx, i see (and pardon me for dumping a bunch of junk in here, but it looks pretty relevant):

root# startx

2004-11-16 22:56:43.328 XDarwin[902]
XDarwin 1.3b4

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and patches submitted
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.3.99.16 / X Window System
Release Date: 20 November 2003
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin Apple Computer, Inc.
Could not find keymapping file USA.keymapping.
Reading keymap from the system.
Display mode: Rootless Quartz -- Xplugin implementation
PseudoramiX screen 0 added: 1024x747 @ (0,21).
PseudoramiX screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1024x747 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
SESSION_MANAGER=local/juun-ibook.local:/tmp/.ICE-unix/903
AUDIT: Tue Nov 16 22:57:02 2004: 902 XDarwin: client 6 rejected from local host
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager
æ^AThe application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

So... what's the problem?

- Philip