On Jan 19, 2005, at 7:16 PM, Viv Kendon wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Martin Costabel wrote:

Jean-François Mertens wrote:

[]
Probably the configure script checks directly for freetype/freetype.h,
and gets (with xorg) an error msg that one should include ft2build.h ...

Yes, it seems the freetype guys solved the compatibility problem with freetype1 that came from the standard ambiguous <freetype/freetype.h> include by making freetype2 incompatible with itself. These guys are truely crazy.

The freetype/freetype.h header that throws the error because ft2build.h was not included before actually has

#include <ft2build.h>

some lines later. So the error is only there to annoy us, it has no other function. Maybe we should just shoot them.

I can report that, if I give xpdf enough hints:

SetCPPFLAGS: -DFT_FREETYPE_H -I/usr/X11R6/include
SetCFLAGS: -DFT_FREETYPE_H -I/usr/X11R6/include
SetCXXFLAGS: -DFT_FREETYPE_H -I/usr/X11R6/include

(the first to stop it complaining about not including ft2build.h, and the second so it actually finds ft2build.h when it does try to include it a few lines later...)
then it will build against Xorg without any important looking errors or warnings(*).

Which is just to confirm your diagnosis, and demonstrate that there is nothing else wrong with my system causing problems. Of course, this is NOT the way to fix it...

-- Viv

(*) just some prebinding warnings like:
ld: warning prebinding not disabled because (__PAGEZERO segment (address = 0x0 s
ize = 0x1000) of pdftoppm overlaps with __TEXT segment (address = 0x0 size = 0x3
1000) of /sw/lib/libt1.1.dylib

Dr Viv Kendon               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quantum Information           tel: 0113 343 3897
Physics & Astronomy          University of Leeds

(ccing Victor, who posted concerning this on -beginners)

Viv's environment settings worked for me, too.
If it still builds vs. Apple's X11 with these modifications, then this might well be an option.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documentarian