dpkg: regarding .../xfree86-shlibs_4.4.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
What system do you have installed? 4.4.0-1 is very old. In particular the Provides field has changed in more recent versions.

You mean, what fink system? Or what Mac OS X? Here are the vitals on both:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 17:22:26 ~: fink --version
Package manager version: 0.23.3
Distribution version: 0.7.1.rsync

OS X: 10.3.7

or maybe you mean which version of X is currently installed?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 17:22:33 ~: fink list | egrep xfree86
i system-xfree86 2:4.3-2 [placeholder for user installed x11]
i system-xfree86-dev 2:4.3-2 [placeholder for user installed x11 development tools]
i system-xfree86-shlibs 2:4.3-2 [placeholder for user installed x11 shared libraries]

Does this provide some ideas of what to do? I'd just rip the current X out and reinstall, but I think there are gobs and gobs of other packages that depend on various X libraries, so fink is going to complain about that.

Thanks.

--Michal