On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

On Mar 7, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Viv Kendon wrote:

Has anyone else on this list running Xorg and Xorg's XDarwin full screen experienced things get all confused over whether X or Aqua should have control? The symptom is that mouse clicks start switching focus to whatever Aqua app is in that portion of the screen even when Xorg supposedly has control of the screen. The screen redrawing gets all mixed up too, with X apps updating (like xclock when the time advances) coming through on the Aqua desktop when Aqua has focus. Nothing actually crashes, there are no error messages on the console. Focus still follows mouse when X has focus, and keyboard input then goes into the selected X window, it is just the mouse clicks that go to Aqua. With a little ingenuity it is possible to quit Xorg cleanly and restart it, whereupon things return to normal.

There is usually some trigger, like attaching an external hard drive over firewire, or a camera over USB, that precedes this effect, but it doesn't happen every time in a repeatable way. I have this just often enough to be annoying on both my TiBook (running an older XDarwin from XFree86 over Xorg) and my dual G4 (with matching XDarwin), both installed through fink.

If this was on PC hardware I'd be thinking the system had somehow missed an interupt, but I don't know enough about Macs to know whether something equivalent could be behind this. (Interupts are how the system responds to input from devices like mouse, keyboard, modem...each one gets its own interupt number, a bit like SCSI device numbers.)

This may be one of those "wait and see if it goes away under Tiger" problems, but if anyone has any suggestions (including try another list, file a bug), or just a "me too" I'd appreciate it.

thanks,
-- Viv
Dr Viv Kendon               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quantum Information           tel: 0113 343 3897
Physics & Astronomy          University of Leeds

Fullscreen or rootless?

Fullscreen. So it is very obvious when things go wrong because normally only the hotkey combo will switch between X and Aqua worlds. And anyway, the screen doesn't fully redraw in either world anymore, even when switching with the hotkey or dock icon. Redrawing only happens for the bits each world thinks it needs to update (because something moved or changed). It's a bit like XDarwin tried to switch to rootless mode in mid-session, but with all the mouse clicks belonging to Aqua and 6 virtual desktops (fvwm2) still hanging around.

There are some known issues with how XDarwin deals with windows that aren't under its control in rootless mode (e.g. running X11.app on DISPLAY 0 and XDarwin on DISPLAY 1.

I am running Xdarwin on DISPLAY 1 though, always have done, so I can run X11 rootless on DISPLAY 0. Currently I do this to accommodate Matlab's hybrid setup, but I don't run Matlab very often, and neither Matlab nor X11 have been running any of the times I've had the problem.

On the other hand, I haven't had any problem similar to yours (I'm using the XDarwin that came with Xorg)--Aqua and X11 stay in their own worlds.

I'm pretty sure it is external device triggered, and the cause is therefore located somewhere in the Aqua side of things. But I'm not sure filing a bug report with Apple when I'm running Xorg is going to get any attention...so I thought I'd first try to find out if I'm alone with this problem. I don't recall ever having this happen prior to running Xorg.

many thanks,

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Fink-users mailing list Fink-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users