This happens with Terminal.app and iTerm as well. I may be mistaken but I think it is a launchd bug. The problem, in any case, seems to get worse if I have a lot of launchd items or if one I made is malfunctioning.

The problem is also exacerbated if one doesn't cleanly exit a shell with the "exit" or "logout" command.

If you often terminate a session by other means, and type "w" you will see a long string of (zombie?) processes. Short of rebooting, I don't know how to get rid of them.

Perhaps if there is some way to get rid of those processes without rebooting, it could be run at login (naturally, with yet another launchd process).