Stan Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> OS 10.3.9, xFree86, unstable branch, all updates current      , normal Fink
> install.
>
> Problem: the contents of my Gnome 2.6 "Applications" menu have
> disappeared. Clicking on Applications simply highlights the word; no
> drop-down menu appears.
>
> The "Actions" menu works. I can use it to "Run Application", calling
> them as in command line. I can also use the actions menu to start
> gnome-terminal and run applications directly. So far as I can tell, the
> applications I have tried are running normally.
>
> I do not know when the problem first occured, but believe it was within
> the past week.
>
> I would be grateful for suggestions as to how to proceed. I have tried
> trashing my local preferences.

I *think* this is due to a change in how GNOME arranged their menu
packages. Starting in GNOME2.10 (approximately) they have a
gnome-menus package that provides the basic menus and infrastructure
for other menus. This package implements the same standards that KDE
does, and so it now conflicts with our kde packages: it installs files
with the same names, but different contents:( As well, there are
environment variables that affect this desktop standard that no fink
packages seem to implement or handle consistently. "We're working on
it, but we don't really understand it", so we have not added
gnome-menus to fink yet. You could regain your old menus by reverting
to a lower version of [some package], but I dunno which one.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]