> Presumably, "fink remove sed ssed" will repair the immediate problem
> of what happens upon login.  Hopefully, rebuilding sed or ssed would
> cure it.  (You need to figure out which of sed or ssed is providing
> your /sw/bin/sed, which you can do by "dpkg -S /sw/bin/sed".)

Dear David et al:

Oops.

The reason this didn't work was that I did it on the wrong machine.  It
turned out that the error was on my local machine, but I only saw the
message when I sshed into any of 3 remote machines (all with what I
wrongly thought to be identical fink installs).  My local machine (my
laptop) indeed had sed.  Simply removing and reinstalling the package
cured it; I did not even have to recompile anything.

Please accept my apologies for wasting your time.  The error message
was mixed in with the shell startup messages on the remote machines.

Bill