Hello list,

I have been, unsuccessfully, trying to upgrade my fink 0.7.2 distribution to 0.8.0 after I upgraded to Tiger (10.4.2). My fink setup is plain vanilla binary. I got XCode 2.0 installed.

So I figured it should be possible to perform an easy upgrade, without trashing /sw and reinstalling.

Easy enough, the fink homepage suggested the following:
fink selfupdate
sudo /sw/lib/fink/postinstall.pl
fink scanpackages
sudo apt-get update

Which yields, on my system, the following (everything run as root)

llama:~ root# fink selfupdate
curl -f -L -O http://fink.sourceforge.net/CURRENT-FINK-10.3
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0    11    0    11    0     0     20      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0

I will now download the package descriptions for Fink 10.3-0.7.2 and update the core packages. After that, you should update the other packages using commands like 'fink update-all'.

tar -xzvf dists-10.3-0.7.2.tar.gz
dists-10.3-0.7.2/
dists-10.3-0.7.2/ChangeLog
dists-10.3-0.7.2/DISTRIBUTION
dists-10.3-0.7.2/IDEAS
dists-10.3-0.7.2/inject.pl
dists-10.3-0.7.2/README
[lots of gibberish]
/bin/cp -f xfce-taskbar.info /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/x11-wm/; /bin/chmod 644 /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/x11-wm/xfce-taskbar.info /bin/cp -f xfce.info /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/x11-wm/; /bin/chmod 644 /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/x11-wm/xfce.info
Reading package info...
Updating package index... done.
Information about 2148 packages read in 11 seconds.
No packages to install.

The core packages have been updated. You should now update the other packages
using commands like 'fink update-all'.

llama:~ root# /sw/lib/fink/postinstall.pl
Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
This system was not released at the time this Fink release was made. Prerelease
versions of Mac OS X might work with Fink, but there are no guarantees.
ln -s 10.3 /sw/fink/dists
llama:~ root# fink scanpackages
Reading package info...
Updating package index... done.
Information about 2148 packages read in 8 seconds.
dpkg-scanpackages dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc override | gzip >dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc override | gzip >dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 18 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc override | gzip >dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
dpkg-scanpackages dists/local/bootstrap/binary-darwin-powerpc override | gzip >dists/local/bootstrap/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages.gz
 Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
llama:~ root# apt-get update
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/release/main Packages
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/release/main Release
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/release/crypto Packages
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/release/crypto Release
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/current/main Packages
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/current/main Release
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/current/crypto Packages
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net 10.3/current/crypto Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
llama:~ root# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
llama:~ root# cat /sw/etc/fink.conf
# Fink configuration, initially created by bootstrap.pl
Mirror-gnome: ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/
Mirror-ctan: ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/
Mirror-master: http://distfiles.master.finkmirrors.net/
RootMethod: sudo
MirrorOrder: MasterFirst
Trees: local/main stable/main stable/crypto local/bootstrap
Basepath: /sw
DownloadMethod: curl
Mirror-debian: ftp.debian.org
KeepBuildDir: false
Verbose: 2
Mirror-gnu: ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu/
Mirror-kde: ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/
Mirror-gimp: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/
Mirror-rsync: rsync://master.us.finkmirrors.net/finkinfo/
Mirror-sourceforge: http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
ProxyPassiveFTP: true
MirrorCountry: eur-ch
Mirror-cpan: ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/CPAN/
KeepRootDir: false
MirrorContinent: eur
SelfUpdateMethod: point
Mirror-apt: http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/bindist
llama:~ root#

Which means that I'm still stuck at the 10.3, or fink 0.7.2, tree. No packages are actually updated. Are the steps I performed correct? If yes, could there be anything wrong with my system?

I wonder how this process would enable fink to find out about a new tree. It seems fink checks in fink.conf what the current tree is (10.3), downloads the appropriate CURRENT-FINK-10.3 from SF, which yields 10.3-0.7.2, installs some stuff, and finally (in postinstall.pl) restorates exactly the same 10.3 symlinks that have been there forever. How can this possibly work (i.e., yield a 10.4 tree)?

Googling and lloking through the FAQ and mailing lists has not resulted in any useful information. Thanks for any hints,

Moritz