Hi all,

I've been following the recent issues with HDF, and I think there may be another problem with the latest versions. I believe there may be a work around, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to handle this issue.

It looks like the Fortran bindings have been compiled differently in the latest version (hdf-4.2r1-2) than they were in previous versions (ie, hdf-4.2r0-3). The trailing underscores have been left out of the new versions. This causes unresolved symbol errors.

Just as an example, under hdf-4.2r0-3:

% nm /sw/lib/libmfhdf.a | grep -i sfend
0000004c T _sfend_
00000054 T _sfendacc_

And under hdf-4.2r1-2:

% nm /sw/lib/libmfhdf.a | grep -i sfend
0000004c T _sfend
00000054 T _sfendacc

It's not just those two symbols, but many (all? - I haven't checked) of the Fortran symbols. I expect I could work around this by use of one of the -f underscore options, but that can sometimes make things tricky when using multiple sets of libraries.

Reverting to hdf-4.2r0-3 has fixed this issue for me. Is this an actual problem, something I'm not handling correctly, etc? Is there a better fix than I've mentioned?

Anyway, thanks to all. . .

Mike

--
Mike Zulauf (1)