This problem occurs when trying to update fink itself but also with many
other packages.

For instance below is the error message when trying to instal fink from
source

The following package will be installed or updated:
 fink
dpkg -i
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/fink_0.24.6-21_darwi
n-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 14976 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace fink 0.24.6-21 (using
../fink_0.24.6-21_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement fink ...
Setting up fink (0.24.6-21) ...
Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0 Under Mac OS X 10.4.4, Fink
must be bootstrapped or updated with gcc 4.0.0, however, you currently have
gcc 4.0.1 selected. To correct this problem, run the command:

    sudo gcc_select 4.0

You may need to install a more recent version of the Developer Tools
(Apple's XCode) to be able to do so.
dpkg: error processing fink (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255 Errors
were encountered while processing:
 fink
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1