Chris Zubrzycki wrote:
On Feb 6, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
I saw these files appear in the Finder folder /sw/etc/apache2/
highperformance-std.conf.dpkg-new
highperformance.conf.dpkg-new
httpd-server.conf.dpkg-new
httpd-std.conf.dpkg-new
httpd.conf.dpkg-new
magic.dpkg-new
mime.types.dpkg-new
ssl-std.conf.dpkg-new
ssl.conf.dpkg-new
The problem is that they vanish without a trace and all that's left is my apache2.d folder.

By default, reinstall does not touch config files. Config files are those mentioned in the corresponding field in the package description. If you look at the apache2-ssl.info, you will see the above files listed in the ConfFiles field.

Even removing a package first and then installing leaves the config files untouched (or empty as in your case). In principle, if dpkg detects that a config file has been modified, it should ask you what to do about it, but apparently it doesn't do this in your case. You have to "purge" a package, either with the fink command or with dpkg, in order to remove config files. A subsequent install brings the default config files back. "dpkg -i --force-confnew" should do the reinstallation without purging first.

The .dpkg-new files are the new conffiles from the .deb, but debian wont touch your existing conffiles if it detects you've modified them at all. So, just move the .dpkg-new files to the right names and you get the same effect, only easier. It's also a good idea to diff them and your conf files to see what's been changed in the new versions.

- -chris zubrzycki

Hi Chris,

Turns out that fink install did what fink reinstall would not. After purging the files, fink install put the conf files back (reinstall would not do this for me yesterday). So I leave the note below unfinished since it is no longer relevant. I leave it however, because it may help someone down the road.

Special thanks to Alexander, Martin, and Chris for helping out with this,

Robert

====

I manually removed the conf files because I foolishly thought that I could just reinstall the package and they would reappear. So of those files above, none of the 'old' files are present. In fact I removed their containing folder and fink reinstall put back the folder, but not the files.

I removed the files by dragging them to the trash, so dpkg was never told about their removal. (Except that I have done scanpackage and index at multiple points.)

I can easily drop the .dpkg-new off the ends of those files except that only exist briefly before disappearing again. I reckon that I could try to grab them during those few moments they are present....

One part I don't get regards "if it detects you've modified them at all." If my files aren't present, why does dpkg think that I've modified them?

Is there another way to get the conf files out of the deb?

... and even fink purge --recursive apache2-ssl-common doesn't clean it up.

(Notes about the following: Where does "unknown keyword charmap" come from? What archive is not being found with the dpkg -i command?)

The following packages will be REMOVED:
apache2-ssl* apache2-ssl-common* apache2-ssl-dev* apache2-ssl-mpm-worker* libapache2-ssl-mod-actions* libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-anon* libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-dbm* libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-digest* libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-ldap* libapache2-ssl-mod-bucketeer* libapache2-ssl-mod-cgid* libapache2-ssl-mod-expires* libapache2-ssl-mod-headers* libapache2-ssl-mod-info* libapache2-ssl-mod-isapi* libapache2-ssl-mod-ldap* libapache2-ssl-mod-mime-magic* libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy* libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-connect* libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-ftp* libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-http* libapache2-ssl-mod-rewrite* libapache2-ssl-mod-speling* libapache2-ssl-mod-ssl* libapache2-ssl-mod-suexec* libapache2-ssl-mod-unique-id* libapache2-ssl-mod-usertrack* libapache2-ssl-mod-vhost-alias*
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 28 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
24 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 10.2MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
unknown keyword charmap
(Reading database ... 271195 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libapache2-ssl-mod-actions ...
Disabling mod_actions module...
apxs:Error: Config file /sw/etc/apache2/httpd.conf not found.
/sw/bin/dpkg: error processing libapache2-ssl-mod-actions (--purge):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Enabling mod_actions module...
apxs:Error: Config file /sw/etc/apache2/httpd.conf not found.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:

<this error is reported for each module>

Removing apache2-ssl ...
Removing apache2-ssl-mpm-worker ...
Removing apache2-ssl-dev ...
Removing apache2-ssl-common ...
Purging configuration files for apache2-ssl-common ...
dpkg - warning: while removing apache2-ssl-common, directory `/sw/var/apache2/logs' not empty so not removed.
libapache2-ssl-mod-actions
libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-anon
libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-dbm
libapache2-ssl-mod-auth-digest
libapache2-ssl-mod-bucketeer
libapache2-ssl-mod-cgid
libapache2-ssl-mod-expires
libapache2-ssl-mod-headers
libapache2-ssl-mod-info
libapache2-ssl-mod-isapi
libapache2-ssl-mod-ldap
libapache2-ssl-mod-mime-magic
libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy
libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-connect
libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-ftp
libapache2-ssl-mod-proxy-http
libapache2-ssl-mod-rewrite
libapache2-ssl-mod-speling
libapache2-ssl-mod-ssl
libapache2-ssl-mod-suexec
libapache2-ssl-mod-unique-id
libapache2-ssl-mod-usertrack
libapache2-ssl-mod-vhost-alias
E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
### execution of /sw/bin/apt-get-lockwait failed, exit code 100
Failed: can't purge package apache2-ssl-common

A second invocation for good measure:

$ fink purge --recursive apache2-ssl-commonInformation about 5276 packages read in 5 seconds.
WARNING: this command will remove the package(s) and remove any
        global configure files, even if you modified them!

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
WARNING: apache2-ssl-common is not installed, skipping.
Nothing purge --recursived

And then:

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-confnew apache2-ssl-common
/sw/bin/dpkg: error processing apache2-ssl-common (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
apache2-ssl-common

Rebuilding all of the above packages just brings me back to the same place. I would imagine that removing all of /sw and starting over will cure this, but I'll bet that there's a simpler way (and yes, I've learned my lesson about trashing conf files...!).

[see note at top: fink purge --recursive apache2-ssl-common followed by fink install apache2-ssl-common fixed this]