> If some folks with scanners would try out this info file and patch, I'd
> appreciate it (or at least make sure it builds).

Unfortunately I don't have any scanner attached to my laptop,
but I can tell that 1.0.17 installs under 10.4:

 i   sane-backends                1.0.17-0              Scanner Access Now Easy
 i   sane-backends-dev            1.0.17-0              Headers for shared
libraries for sane
 i   sane-backends-shlibs         1.0.17-0              Shared libraries for
sane

Thanks

Dominique