Hi,

On Apr 6, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Emily Jackson wrote:

At 9:51 AM -0500 on Thursday, April 6, 2006, Benjamin Reed
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris Dolan wrote:

Just a small possibility: do you have a .tcshrc file in your home dir?
tcsh looks for .tcshrc and then .cshrc.

If that doesn't do it, then try this:
  * Move your .cshrc to a temporary location for safekeeping
  * Make a new .cshrc that has only the  "source /sw/bin/init.csh"
  * Open a new terminal window

If you still get the error, then it is indeed a flaw in init.csh.
Otherwise, I think it's more likely to be a bad interaction between your rc and the Fink init. For example, I often see "tcsh: Word too long." in my own shell when I run init.csh a second time because (I think) fink
appends to my already-long CLASSPATH variable.  So, in that example
neither .cshrc nor init.csh is at fault, but a bad interaction between
them.  Your problem may be similar.

It could also be a package doing something bad in /sw/etc/ profile.d --
any of the .csh files in there are sourced during fink init.

I rebuilt/reinstalled all the packages in /sw/etc/profile.d, and I
created a .cshrc with just "source /sw/bin/init.csh". Terminal.app works
OK, but every new terminal window in X11 displays that error. When I
revert to my old .cshrc (which, as a pointed out earlier, has no if
statements), Terminal.app displays the error if I execute "source /sw/
bin/init.csh" but otherwise is still usable (aliases work). I don't
remember installing anything yesterday, and X11 was working normally
yesterday. Now I have to use Terminal.app to launch X11 programs and
then bring X11 to the front manually.

Emily

I just ran 'fink update-all' and have the same issue with "tcsh: if:
Expression Syntax". Running 'tcsh -X' ends with:

source /sw/etc/profile.d/xfontpath.csh
if ( -x /sw/bin/xfontpath && 1 ) then
if ( x:0.0 = x:0.0 ) then
tcsh: if: Expression Syntax.

/sw/etc/profile.d/xfontpath.csh should read

if ( -x "/sw/bin/xfontpath" && $?DISPLAY ) then
        if ( "x$DISPLAY" == x:0.0 ) then
                ( "/sw/bin/xfontpath" enable & ) >& /dev/null
        endif
endif

Note the '==' instead of '='.
The bash version works.

Cc'd Aida who committed the new version yesterday. The bug is in the tarball.

Cheers,
        Remi

--
Q: How many kinds of physicists are there?
A: Three. Those who can count and those who can't.

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Manchester               URL:    http://cern.ch/mommsen
Fermilab, MS 357                     voice:        ++1 (630) 840-8321
P.O. Box 500                           fax:        ++1 (630) 840-2649
Batavia, Il 60510, US                 home:        ++1 (630) 236-0932