On Jul 29, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

> Jens Noeckel wrote:

>>> Jens;  From the 1.4.2 release notes:
>>>
>>>  * Fix a crash on exit on MacOS X, and the well known "Mutex
>>> destroy failure"
>>>   error message on Linux (qt frontend, bugs 2549 and 1029).
>>>
>>> I'm testing a package for 1.4.2 now, will let you know when it is
>>> committed.
>>>
>>> -Jeff
>>>

>> Jeff - I do still see the crash on LyX-Mac 1.4.2, though. It will
>> be interesting to see if it is still there in the fink package,
>> too...
>>
>> By the way, while compiling lyx 1.4.2 myself, I discovered (or
>> Google discovered for me) that there is a way to patch QT-mac so
>> that the Ctrl key regains its emacs-like functionality, and the
>> Command key becomes a meta key. I tried it and it works with the
>> Mac versions of qt3 and lyx 1.4.2. I wonder if one can also do
>> something like that with the X11 qt3 that fink's lyx uses. That
>> way lyx-qt would finally have a meta key, the way it did with
>> xforms. If there's interest in this, I could send more information...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jens
>>

> Jens:  I've updated lyx-qt in 10.4 unstable to 1.4.2, and I can't
> reproduce your crash with it.

Jeff,
the new lyx-qt 1.4.2 in unstable is still showing the crash on my
MacBook Pro. I re-read my initial email and noticed that I was
inaccurate in describing how to reproduce the crash. When I said
"erase the math inset and save again," I meant you have to cut the
math inset by using the "cut" function from the Edit menu (i.e., it
goes into the "clipboard") - not just erase by using backspace or
delete-forward.

When I go through the editing steps described above, here is the crash:

lyx: SIGSEGV signal caught
Sorry, you have found a bug in LyX. Please read the bug-reporting
instructions in Help->Introduction and send us a bug report, if
necessary. Thanks !
Bye.
/sw/bin/lyx: line 15: 11175 Abort trap              /sw/bin/lyxx $@

% lyx --version
LyX 1.4.2 of Fri, Jul 13, 2006
Built on Jul 29 2006, 08:13:01
Configuration
   Host type:                      i686-apple-darwin8.7.1
   Special build flags:            pch  use-aspell use-ispell
   C   Compiler:                   gcc
   C   Compiler LyX flags:
   C   Compiler flags:             -I/sw/include  -I/usr/X11R6/
include -O2
   C++ Compiler:                   g++ (4.0.1)
   C++ Compiler LyX flags:          -fno-exceptions
   C++ Compiler flags:             -I/sw/include  -I/usr/X11R6/
include -O2
   Linker flags:
   Linker user flags:              -framework Carbon -framework
OpenGL -framework AGL -framework QuickTime -L/sw/lib
   Qt Frontend:
       Qt version:               3.3.6
   Packaging:                      posix
   LyX binary dir:                 /sw/bin
   LyX files dir:                  /sw/share/lyx

One more little thing - the fink.info removes the O2 optimization for
src/tex2lyx, but I tried compiling the whole source with O2 and had
no apparent problems. I tried importing some tex in my version and it
worked as expected.

Jens