OK _ putting back on the list a private reply by Hanspeter,
and my reply to him ..  should never have gotten into this ...  :)

JF

On 12 Feb 2007, at 17:05, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
> Lipo only lets you (dis)assemble single-arch <-> fat binaries,
> right? In my case, I'm making an application that uses several
> libraries found in Fink (qt3mac, libxml2 and a few others) that
> would be a pain to keep track of on my own and build separately as
> universal.  With Universal Fink, this would be seamless.
>
> If I had access to a i386 Mac, I could then just build it there as
> well and lipo the binaries together, but we only have PPC 10.4
> machines here.

Isn't this another issue ?
You want to build a "universal" "application", if I understand
correctly..
I was basically questioning the use of those _ to the final user, it
just
doubles the amount of disk space, w/o additional services...
(As compared to separate "application"s for each arch).

But what you seem to be requesting is basically a possibility for
cross-compiling fink packages _ to build i386 pkgs on PPC machines...
(eg, that the user could specify a target machine in his "fink build"
commands).
(the decision whether or not to lipo things together afterwards is a
triviality
in my mind _ but where I'm negative, as explained above_ , that can
be left to the user)
I think we not quite close to that ...

Best,

JF

PS: But if you need an occasional service of building something
on intel and sending you the output _ I'll try ... (ie, if my machine
or my own schedule is not overheated :)