Daniel Macks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:58:35PM +0100, Claus Atzenbeck wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I experienced a strange behavior: "cleanup --all" wants to remove glib2.
>> I am surprised that it is supposed to be removed, since many packages
>> depend on it. Here is what I see:
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> $ fink cleanup --all
>> [...]
>> The following 1 obsolete package(s) will be removed:
>>    glib2  2.12.9-1  Handy library of utility functions
>>
>> /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait --purge glib2
>> dpkg: Abh"angigkeitsproblem verhindert das L"oschen von glib2:
>>  pango1-xft2 h"angt ab von glib2 (>= 2.6.6-1111).
> [lots more]
>
> Due to a reorganization of the glib2* package set, the "glib2" package
> itself no longer contains any files--there is no (longer:) any reason
> for any package to need or want it. However, some packages have not
> yet been adjusted by their maintainers for this new glib2* layout. You
> are seeing a symptom of those un-adjusted packages...no harm in having
> an empty package installed. For more information, see:
>
>   http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Obsolete_Packages
>
> and (I think) 'fink info glib2'.

Note that this is the result of a *change* to the package layout, not
just a belated observation that glib2 has never had anything in it. So
one has to update the dependencies _to require the version that has
the new layout_, not just change the package-name listed in the
dependency.

dan

--
Daniel Macks