I recently bought a new computer with Leopard, Xcode 3.0, and a core duo 2 processor. I installed fink. I have experienced some of the problems mentioned on this list over the past few weeks; notably a failure of a selfupdate. I have uninstalled Fink by wiping out the / sw directory. I would like to reinstall it, but I believe (at this point I am guessing - I'm very new to my machine) I need to generate code for the 64 bit processor, or at any rate make sure the perl libraries and compile settings in my environment, alert any processes that will do compiling, that I have a 64 bit processor.

Is there something I need to do for Fink to make sure it knows it is running on a 64 bit intel machine or does it figure this out automatically? Does my guess make sense? How would I test it?

--
Josh Kuperman