On Tuesday 20 May 2008 09:34:00 James Mckenzie wrote:
> >I set-up my PYTHONPATH as follows:
> >
> >[Admins-Computer 18]  > echo $PYTHONPATH
> >/sw/bin:/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.
> >framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
> >
> >Now it proceeds one line further in the syntax error output:
> >  File "/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk.py", line 20, in ?
> >    from GTK import *
> >ImportError: No module named GTK
>
> What does fink list gtk show?
>
> GTK should equal gtk on your system
>
> >So it *looks* like it's using /sw/bin/python2.3 now.
>
> Run 'which python'
>

> This should point to /sw/bin.
>
> Also, run 'python --version'  If you get python 2.5.1, you are still using
> the python that is installed on your Mac.

That would not be the version one would see on Tiger (as below).  Probably
more appropriate to use would be

python -V

As the built-in one on Tiger appears not to understand --version, but Fink's
understands -V .

> >Are gtk and GTK two different things -- is that probably why I'm getting
> >this error?
>
> No.  It is a matter of how the error is reported.  I had to completely
> de-install GTK and GTK2 and then install GTK first and then GTK2 in order
> to rid these errors.
>
> >My OS version is 10.4.11
>
> Thank you.  Fink is not 'Leopard-ready' yet.
>
> James McKenzie

I disagree with the above statement, but we'll leave that aside.

One problem here is that it's not always easy to figure out how to make
external packages find and use Fink-installed ones.  It should always be
_possible_ for a reasonably-written package.   Consulting their documentation
is usually a good place to start, so that you can find environment variables
to set, etc., to match the package to your system configuration.