thanks all for the feedback. i wish i had emailed before i updated
fink today!

i remember now why usr/local exists...it's that annoying cisco vpn
client my work made me install. also, and this is potentially
problematic, macfuse recently put some files there.

could i please get a little help on the points martin raised?

(1) macfuse put these in usr/lib:

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel        19 Oct 10 22:28 libfuse.0.dylib@ ->
libfuse.0.0.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel        19 Oct 10 22:28 libfuse.dylib@ ->
libfuse.0.0.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel        23 Oct 10 22:28 libulockmgr.0.dylib@
-> libulockmgr.0.0.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel        23 Oct 10 22:28 libulockmgr.dylib@ ->
libulockmgr.0.0.0.dylib
drwxr-xr-x    9 root  wheel       306 Oct 10 22:28 pkgconfig/

apart from the first 2, does anyone else have these? if not, it is
likely they should be in usr/local/lib

(2) referring to the usr/lib <-> sw/lib problem, the only change made
to /usr/lib during fink update was:

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel        27 Oct 14 16:52 libcc_dynamic.a@ -
 > gcc/darwin/default/libgcc.a

does this seem right?