I have been trying to get gnome configured so that it will work
properly. When I start gnome I get a message saying there was a prblem
starting gnome-settings-daemon, return value 0. Themes, sound,
backgrounds will not work. Indeed I did some tests and found that if I
start gnome-settings-daemon from the xinitrc script before starting
gnome-sessions, that this message goes away. However choosing a theme
or background causes terminal to not accept input when you type. Other
problems encountered were that logout doesn't work and assistive
technology can not be selected.

Any help will be appreciated.

Richard E. Miles