Folks:

Our server administrator opened up port 2401 so fink selfupdate works
partially, but it says gcc_4 is required and I have gcc-4.2. I have
the latest developer tools and XQuartz-2.3.3_rc5 installed on a G5 Mac
with OS-X 10.5.6.

When I tried to run gcc_select, it first said it didn't exist, but I
found an executable in /Developer/usr/sbin. That executable also
failed to run, saying it only worked with OS-X 10.4. Please see a
partial listing below. Does anyone know what is going on?

Robert A. Black

Research Meteorologist                  4301 Rickenbacker Cswy.
NOAA/AOML/HRD                            Miami, FL 33149-1026

Ph:   (305) 361-4314
FAX: (305) 361-4528 (NEW)

E-Mail: robert.a.bl...@noaa.gov
(Any opinions expressed are mine alone, not NOAA policy)

The following package will be installed or updated:
  fink
Reading buildlock packages...
/sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -i /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-
powerpc/base/fink_0.28.7-41_darwin-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 20243 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace fink 0.28.7-41 (using .../fink_0.28.7-41_darwin-
powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement fink ...
Setting up fink (0.28.7-41) ...
Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin9.6.0
Under Mac OS X 10.5.6, Fink must be bootstrapped or updated with gcc
4.0,
however, you currently have gcc 4.2 selected. To correct
this problem, run the command:

     sudo gcc_select 4.0

You may need to install a more recent version of the Developer Tools
(Apple's XCode) to be able to do so.
/sw/bin/dpkg: error processing fink (--install):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
  fink
### execution of /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package fink-0.28.7-41

apollo18:~ rblack$ sudo gcc_select gcc 4.0
sudo: gcc_select: command not found

apollo18:bin rblack$ cd /Developer/usr/sbin
apollo18:sbin rblack$ ls
gcc_select      heap64          ioalloccount    ioclasscount
ioreg           leaks64         vmmap64
apollo18:sbin rblack$ pwd
/Developer/usr/sbin
apollo18:sbin rblack$ sudo ./gcc_select 4.0
This version of gcc_select can be used only on MacOS X 10.4.