The problem was the configuration of Ruby on my machine which caused the
copyplist and copytiff scripts to fail.

You were right: there was some error information higher up in the spew that
I had overlooked.  The build process is having trouble executing copyplist
and copytiff.  Here are the relevant excerpts from the output when I try to
install aquaterm-shlibs.
CopyPlistFile
/sw/src/fink.build/root-aquaterm-1.0.1-5/sw/Applications/AquaTerm.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaTerm.framework-Info.plist
AquaTerm.framework-Info.plist
    cd /sw/src/fink.build/aquaterm-1.0.1-5/aquaterm

/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copyplist
AquaTerm.framework-Info.plist --outdir
/sw/src/fink.build/root-aquaterm-1.0.1-5/sw/Applications/AquaTerm.framework/Versions/A/Resources
error: can't exec
'/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copyplist'
(No such file or directory)
CopyTiffFile
/sw/src/fink.build/root-aquaterm-1.0.1-5/sw/Applications/AquaTerm.app/Contents/Resources/Cross.tiff
English.lproj/Cross.tiff
    cd /sw/src/fink.build/aquaterm-1.0.1-5/aquaterm

/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copytiff
English.lproj/Cross.tiff --outdir
/sw/src/fink.build/root-aquaterm-1.0.1-5/sw/Applications/AquaTerm.app/Contents/Resources
error: can't exec
'/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copytiff'
(No such file or directory)

copyplist and copytiff are Ruby scripts.  They have the following bang
paths:

#!/usr/bin/ruby

But I had cleaned out all my other Ruby installations and just have the fink
one, so /usr/bin/ruby did not exist.

I added a softlink from /usr/bin/ruby to /sw/bin/ruby and was able to
install aquaterm.

--
W.P. McNeill
http://staff.washington.edu/billmcn/index.shtml