On Sep 1, 2009, at 5:15 AM, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Martin Costabel<[email protected]>  
> wrote:
>> Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>> OK, now I'm confused.  On my Leopard box (10.5.8), /bin/sh is a link
>>> to bash  - hm, a separate copy, actually -  and behaves just like  
>>> bash
>>> does in 'sh mode' on other platforms, including honoring -n in echo.
>>
>> Read "man bash" about the startup procedure. Bash behaves  
>> differently when
>> it is started under the name "sh".
>
> I know.  That's what I meant by "bash in 'sh mode'".  Pasted from  
> Terminal:
>
> $ sh
> sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
> Hellosh-3.2$ exit
> $ sh --posix
> sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
> Hellosh-3.2$
>
> Are you sure you're not thinking of a developer prerelease of SL
> rather than Leopard?]

I'm using Snow Leopard purchased from Apple.

ben-abbotts-macbook-pro:~ bpabbott$ sh
sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
-n Hello
sh-3.2$ exit
exit
ben-abbotts-macbook-pro:~ bpabbott$ sh --posix
sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
-n Hello
sh-3.2$ exit
exit
ben-abbotts-macbook-pro:~ bpabbott$ echo -n Hello
Helloben-abbotts-macbook-pro:~ bpabbott$

Ben


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
Fink-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users

Reply via email to