On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> The original message is
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.general/30220/match=x11+path
>
> How are you starting X11 and xterm?  Are you starting X11 via the Finder
> and then using an xterm that opens up with it?  Or are you running xterm
> from the application menu?
>
> You might see if your PATH appears differently when you run
>
>       xterm
>
> from the OSX terminal (X11 doesn't need to be open when you do this).
> That might help us debug what's going on.

It doesn't matter how I start xterm. These three ways give the same
result:
- start X11 from the Finder and then start a new xterm within X11
   (from the X11 Application menu) or use the one that was started at
   the launch of X11
- start xterm by double-clicking it in the Finder. This starts a
   Terminal session and is therefore in fact the same as the third way
   (X11 was not running before doing this)
- typing xterm& or xterm -ls & on the command line in a Terminal
   window (also here, X11 was not running before doing this)

I always end up with the wrong path
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Patrick