Jean-Fran?ois Mertens <j...@core.ucl.ac.be> said:

> On 18 Aug 2010, at 18:42, David R. Morrison wrote:
>
>> There is one exception to this that I'm aware of: the gmp package
>> does cpu-specific optimization at compile time.  But the cpu-
>> specific optimizations tend to be upward-compatible, so if you
>> compile this package on your least-capable machine, it should run on
>> the others.
>
> atlas and its deps are another exception, the whole purpose
> of the pkg being to tune things to the specific CPU at hand.
> And I've probably noticed a couple of other exceptions,
> from glancing when they were building _ not sure this was
> more than mere tuning... Anyway, there should be very few.

Debian is trying to hash out how to handle this exact issue in their
distro...they apparently had had libatlas-CPU1 libatlas-CPU2 etc and
even that didn't give maximal optimization for each system. They're
currently toying with either minimal-optimization for everyone, or a
stub library that triggers an actual local compile from sources with
autodetection of appropriate optimization (or tells users to do so via
normal package-manager tools). Feel free to visit "Subject: Atlas
proposal" on debian-devel and debian-science-maintainers (both hosted
at lists.alioth.debian.org).

dan

--
Daniel Macks