I am trying to install fink on a clean, virtually new installation of
MacOS 10.6.8. As directed on the web site, I downloaded and untarred
the fink-0.31.0 tarball and ran bootstrap.

After asking me for my install method (I chose the default -- sudo),
the script exited with the message:

ERROR: fink requires a 64-bit-capable CPU for your version of OS X

I'm running an old MacBook Pro with an Intel Core Duo (32 bit)
processor.

This laptop ran previous releases of fink just fine (I had to replace
the hard disk), so I'm wondering if it's true that support for old
32-bit CPUs under Snow Leopard was withdrawn.

       - Bob L.