On 4/12/12 10:04 AM, Robert Wyatt wrote:
> My ISO (information security office) is requiring me (it says
> "recommends" below--but that's not what they really mean) to update my
> Samba installation on a MacOS 10.5 machine that I have.
>
> Currently fink offers Samba3 at version: 3.6.0.
>
> ------------------------------
> Steps for Remediation
> ------------------------------
>
> The ISO highly recommends that you update Samba. Versions 3.6.4, 3.5.14, and
> 3.4.16 have been released to address this defect, and are available at
> http://www.samba.org/samba/security/. In addition, due to the severity and
> extreme risk posed by this flaw, Samba has also made patches available for all
> versions currently out of support and maintenance from 3.0.37 onwards at
> http://samba.org/samba/patches/. If you are using RedHat, RedHat has released
> Samba version 3.5.10-115 to address this vulnerability.
>

> My question: Has anyone tried a newer build yet on any of the active
> trees? This machine is a PPC; I need to either update it or disable Samba.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

( Correcting Daniel J.'s address. :-) )

In case nobody else has tried that, it may be worth doing a local update
of samba3 on your machine to build 3.6.4.  It may just be a simple
matter of changing the version and Source-MD5 (though I wouldn't count
on it).

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison