On 4/23/2012 1:17 PM, Viv Kendon wrote:
> I solved this - it was a dependency problem:
>
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Viv Kendon wrote:
>
>> I just built and installed inkscape.  It runs, but when I
>> try to open a file (previously created inkscape file from
>> version 0.48.1) it fails to open it, with the following
>> errors output to the xterm I started it from:
>>
>> (inkscape:31075): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **:
>> gnome_vfs_uri_is_local: assertion `uri != NULL' failed
>>
>> ** (inkscape:31075): WARNING **: Invalid URI
>>
>> ** (inkscape:31075): WARNING **: Error:  Could not open file
>> '/Users/viv/work/posters/svgs/computesteps.svg' with VFS
>>
>> inkscape doesn't crash.  But it isn't very useful if it
>> can't open my inkscape files.
>>
>> This is on 10.6.8 64bit, everything up to date as of a
>> couple of days ago.  And case sensitive file system.
>
> however, it was not on the machine I built inkscape on, the
> deb was pulled from that machine using apt-get.  And it only
> installed gnome-vfs2-unified-shlibs, it didn't also install
> gnome-vfs2-unified.  When I installed the latter, it pulled
> in some more packages:

>     dbus gconf2 orbit2
>
> and did some config stuff after, i.e., set up dbus.
>
> So I think it must actually be dbus that is missing from
> inkscape's dependencies, or gnome-vfs2-unified-shlibs.

Thanks for the report.  I can't confirm this, however.  I've just
rebuilt inkscape, making sure that all of "gnome-vfs2-unified dbus
gconf2 orbit2" were uninstalled before 'fink rebuild inkscape', and the
resulting inkscape was able to open .svg files without any problems.
orbit2 was installed as a Dep for orbit2-dev, but "gnome-vfs2-unified
dbus gconf2" were all gone at both buildtime and runtime.

Hanspeter