On 12/4/12 3:49 PM, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:
> When oct-cxx --version returns
>
> i686-apple-darwin10-g++-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

At least that's performing as intended. :-)

> The configure fails with

> configure:2126: checking whether the C++ compiler works
> configure:2148: g++ -std=c++0x -std=c++0x  conftest.cpp  >&5
> cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=c++0x"
> cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=c++0x"
> configure:2152: $? = 1
> configure:2190: result: no
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:2195: error: in `/private/var/tmp/oct-wIIjnK/image/src':
> configure:2197: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> If I use
>
> c++ (GCC) 4.8.0 20121129 (experimental) [trunk revision 193933]
>
> then running configure in the same directory as above "works", i.e.,
> no "C++ compiler cannot create executables" in
> /var/tmp/oct-wIIjnK/image/src/config.log
> however I get it when I run fink update.
>
> AFAICT the package is configured in a temporary directory. Is there a way
> to keep it after the error?
>
> TIA
>
> Dominique

Thanks for the additional information.  I don't know offhand how to
suppress cleaning the temporary directory.  That's set by Octave
upstream rather than me.

I guess they've decided to use options that aren't supported in the
Xcode compilers for 10.6 and earlier.  I've got 10.5 available right
now, so I can confirm this.

I'll probably have to force it to use gcc47 (until gcc48 is in Fink)
(gcc46 on PowerPC).
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison