> I have no way of testing this on either 10.4 or powerpc.  Only
> suggestion I was able to find online was to remove libtool14 if it is
> installed.  If that doesn't work, I have no idea of what else to try.

Thanks for the answer, but it did not help.
However I knew that I have been hit by this snag
and I finally found the answer at

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=Pine.LNX.4.64.1206211728250.5542%40hal-00.csl.cornell.edu&forum_name=fink-users

The following bloc

    # Prefer compilation with gcc-4.2 if available
    if [ -x /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 ]; then
      ../configure %c --cc=gcc-4.2
    else
      ../configure %c
    fi

should be deleted from the info file for ppc-darwin8.
As sais in the thread, if I move gcc-4.2 away,
the update proceeds to the end.

Dominique