On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 08:53:17AM +0200, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:
> Jack,
>
> Before entering how the different gcc are installed on my system,
> let me say that the following change allowed me to update gcc48
>
> [karma] /Users/dominiq% diff /sw/var/lib/fink/path-prefix-g++-4.0/g++~
> /sw/var/lib/fink/path-prefix-g++-4.0/g++
> 5c5
> < exec g++-4.0 "$@"
> ---
> > exec g++-4.2 "$@"

Neither David Fang or myself see this stage1-bubble failure.

> So IMO the question is what the use of /sw/var/lib/fink/path-prefix-g++-4.0?

The path-prefix compiler symlinks are used to set the default gcc and g++
compilers
in fink builds. The fink developers decided that for Leopard and earlier...

                if  ($config->param("Distribution") lt "10.6") {
                        # Enforce g++-4.0 even for uncooperative packages, by
making it the
                        # first 'g++' in the path (symbol-munging binary
compatibility)
                        $pathprefix = ensure_gpp_prefix('4.0');
                }

as set in /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/PkgVersion.pm. The reason I mention gcc_select is
that Apple
effectively deprecated its behavior in Xcode 3.1 when they removed that
utility. Fink has
settled on supporting the latest freely available Xcode for a given Mac OS X
release (with
the non-free Xcode 4.2 for 10.6 being the exception). Thus Leopard is expected
to default
to gcc-4.0 and g++-4.0 for the system gcc and g+= compilers. CC and CXX is the
mechanism
Apple left for users to redirect the compilers. So your configuration is
non-standard.
   Can you try changing reverting your changes to
/sw/var/lib/fink/path-prefix-g++-4.0
and changing...

../gcc-%v/configure %c

in gcc48.info to...

 ../gcc-%v/configure %c $GCC_FOR_TARGET="gcc"

This is starting to smell like a bug in fink's handling of the compilers as I
don't see
any instances of of /usr/bin/gcc in config.log for gcc48 builds on 10.6, 10.7
and 10.8.
The references for gcc are always directed towards a path-prefix symlink. The
above
hack may paper over this flaw in fink 10.5.
                  Jack
ps I think this issue is normally latent as the system compilers default to
gcc/g++-4.0
and gcc_select is no longer available to change that. So when configure points
/usr/bin/gcc it is the same compiler as used by the path-prefix symlinks.