On 10/30/13 3:36 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
> A long time ago I set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .profile file, but I don't
> recall why.  It may have been to get some program to work.  Should it
> not be set?  I could set DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH instead?
>

> --
> Thomas D. Grant, Ph.D.
> Post-doctoral Scholar
> Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
> 700 Ellicott St.
> Buffalo, NY 14203

Yeah, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is generally preferable, since it
appends its values to the default lookup path, while DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
requires you to specify every directory where you want the linker to
look.  The latter provides more control, but also requires more detailed
tweaking.

Make sure that you're not setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH globally, too.  Fink
normally unsets the user's environment when building to reduce the risk
of issues from user customizations, but it doesn't necessarily affect
more global settings, e.g. from /etc/profile.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison