I don't find anything useful here <http://daemonic.sourceforge.net> or
here <http://sourceforge.net/projects/daemonic/>.  There is also no
man page I can find.  So ... how is one meant to use daemonic?  What
do these commands do?

    $ daemonic -h
    Usage: daemonic command parameters...
    Valid commands:
      enable <servicename>...
      disable <servicename>...
      install <servicename>...
      update <servicename>...
      remove <servicename>...
      dump
    $

Well, 'daemonic dump' is obvious enough.  For example, I've recently
'fink install'ed nginx.  This is what 'deamonic dump' told me about
it.

    service net.nginx.nginx:
      description "Nginx web server"
      message "Nginx 1.4.4"
      startmessage "Starting Nginx 1.4.4"
      stopmessage "Stopping Nginx 1.4.4"
      restartmessage "Restarting Nginx 1.4.4"
      daemon net.nginx.nginx:
        executable "/sw/sbin/nginx"
        parameters -not set-
        configfile "/sw/etc/nginx/nginx.conf"
        pidfile "/sw/var/run/nginx.pid"
        prerun -not set-

'daemonic enable' seemed like a good place to start.

    $ sudo daemonic enable net.nginx.nginx
    Password:
    $

Okay ... Digging around a bit more in the Intertubes, looks like it
did the following.

    $ ls -F /Library/StartupItems/
    cma/                                daemonic-net.nginx.nginx/
    daemonic-dbus/
    $

But it didn't start anything.

    $ ps ax | grep nginx
    47876 s003  R+     0:00.01 grep nginx
    $

And this just did ... I have no fscking idea.

    $ sudo daemonic install net.nginx.nginx
    Password:
    $ ps ax | grep daemonic
    47883 s003  R+     0:00.01 grep daemonic
    $

Thanks in advance for any help.