On 12/18/13 1:45 PM, Matthew Franklin wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm trying to use Fink to install Pymol, and it doesn't appear to be
> working.  (See below for config information.)  I've run fink selfupdate
> and update-all.
>
> When I execute "fink install pymol-py27" (or -py26) I successfully
> installed a whole bunch of Python packages the first time I ran the
> command.  However, things run into trouble when I get to the actual
> Pymol code.
>
> The download of the Pymol tarball fails with a checksum error:
>
> curl --connect-timeout 30 -f -L -A 'fink/0.36.1' -O
> http://distfiles.master.finkmirrors.net/pymol-1.6.0-src.tar.bz2
>    % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time Time  Current
>                                   Dload  Upload   Total   Spent Left  Speed
> 100 8472k  100 8472k    0     0   706k      0  0:00:11  0:00:11 --:--:--
> 1044k
> The checksum of the file is incorrect. The most likely cause for this is
> a corrupted or incomplete download
> Expected: bae7424af441978fd9939ac029fdc366
> Actual: MD5(1706c013269d41125ebb3bb0573300fe)
>          SHA1(eece9a1624d2e84ea4da284ae639a79bca02c700)
> Downloading the file "pymol-1.6.0-src.tar.bz2" failed.
>
> I have gotten the same error, with exactly the same filesize and
> checksum, every time I've tried, from multiple different mirrors.
> Therefore, I think it's not a transmission error.  It's possible our
> firewall is messing things up, but no other fink download has had this
> problem.
>
> If I ignore the checksum problem, and tell fink to use the file anyway,
> it unpacks it OK and begins the installation process. Things start to go
> wrong at the file patching stage:
>
> patching file contrib/uiuc/plugins/molfile_plugin/src/gamessplugin.c
> patching file contrib/uiuc/plugins/molfile_plugin/src/moldenplugin.c
> patching file layer4/Cmd.c
> patching file contrib/uiuc/plugins/molfile_plugin/src/graspplugin.cpp
> patching file contrib/uiuc/plugins/molfile_plugin/src/maeffplugin.cpp
> can't find file to patch at input line 173
> Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |--- pymol-1.5/contrib/pyopengl/openglutil.c.orig       2013-06-07
> 20:11:42.000000000 -0400
> |+++ pymol-1.5/contrib/pyopengl/openglutil.c    2013-06-07
> 20:12:18.000000000 -0400
> --------------------------
>

> Indeed, I can't find openglutil.c anywhere in the pymol directories (or
> anywhere in /sw).  If I skip this patch, things proceed for a little
> longer before failing for good:
>
> patching file layer2/RepSurface.c
> patching file layer3/Selector.c
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 8660 (offset 45 lines).
> patching file layer2/ObjectMolecule2.c
> patching file layer2/RepCylBond.c
> ### execution of /tmp/fink.SOSLL failed, exit code 1
> ### execution of /tmp/fink.kMmYU failed, exit code 1
> Removing runtime build-lock...
> Removing build-lock package...
> [...]

The tarball got updated without a corresponding version change.
Unfortunately the packaging for 10.6 wasn't updated correspondingly.
How to handle that is up to the maintainer.

Since _we_ generate those tarballs, I might advocate that we either
include a revision number in the filename--maybe the first package
revision for which the tarball is valid--or have the package use
SourceRename so that we mirror valid past snapshots so that folks aren't
left high and dry.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison