Hi,
        Manually installing via 'make install' completely bypasses the
.deb package building phase, .debs keep track of which files belong to
which packages in a database (and thus knows what to uninstall).  I would
not recommend attempting to bypass dpkg.
        That said, can you post some more information about how your gcc47
build stalls on 10.5?  A build log (fink -l option) should be kept in
/tmp/fink-build-log.... when you rebuild.
        You might also try to edit the lammpi.info file to use gcc48
instead of gcc47.

Fang

> I would like to know how to do the equivalent procedures to what fink
> does.
>
> I am about installing "lammpi" and fink tell me I need install gcc47.
> I tried and tried but my machine (MDD PPC Dual 10.5.8 1.8GHz) always
> stall while making gcc47.
> Maybe this is not fink problem but my environmental problem.
> After a series of my trial, I found gcc47 can "make" by hand as
>
>  cd /sw/src/fink.build/gcc47-4.7.3-1000/darwin_objdir
>  sudo make <= sometime stall again.
>  sudo make install
>
> But the fink database doesn't know gcc47 is installed.
> I would like to know the equivalent procedure to fink.
> If I am wrong please tell me. Any suggestions are really helpful.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> yours Sincerely,
> ABE Hiroshi
>  from Tokorozawa, JAPAN