Hi,

I have recently updated to yosemite. While trying to get fink up from scratch,
I found out that I cannot install octave due to its dependency on legacy java.
I would like to refrain from installing java6 just to get octave. I searched
the fink-users archieves and found the following thread on this issue (from
about a month ago):

http://sourceforge.net/p/fink/mailman/fink-users/thread/4B4E3329-6FC5-4AAC-8C93-7433A037663D%40trellick.net/#msg32972923

<http://sourceforge.net/p/fink/mailman/fink-users/thread/4b4e3329-6fc5-4aac-8c93-7433a0376...@trellick.net/#msg32972923>

Quoting Viv from there: "But I can confirm that octave382 builds on 10.9 (with
the java dependency changed from 1.6 to 1.7) using your latest file which has
one extra 1.6 that I changed in a local copy.  And that trying to install
oct382 packages fails to find the JRE with the same error as before.”

And later A. Hansen: "I believe that indicates that the build as-is really
wants Apple’s Legacy Java.  It’s going to take some heavy-duty tweaking to make
it work with later Javas, then, since Octave needs to link to their libs, which
are in versioned directories.”

I was wondering if there were any further developments in the past month. I
searched quite a bit in the gnu octave forums and from what I read it seemed to
me that at least on linux, java 1.7 was no problem.

If we don’t use any octave add-on packages, but simply use the “basic” octave,
would changing the requirements octave-3.8.2.info to java-1.7 be ok?

Cheers,
e.