On 4/26/2015 4:27 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>> Thank you.  Is there any description for the build difficulties
>> available anywhere?  I would like to try my hand at it (though given
>> my nonexistent familiarity with the Firefox code base I don't expect
>> much).
>
> I’ll cc the past maintainer of the firefoxN packages, since he knows why he
> stopped bothering. :-)

At firefox9, upstream changed too many assumptions in the code that a
Darwin system must mean using the quartz frontend. and it became
impossible to disentangle code paths that were about the underlying Mac
system from stuff that dealt with using Quartz to draw stuff.  Macports
also gave up at the same time w/ their firefox-x11 package.  And
firefox8 got restricted to < 10.9 because it doesn't play well with
libc++.  You're welcome to try making a new firefox37, but I haven't
even looked at the code in over 3 years and have no idea how the mozilla
build system works these days.

Hanspeter