> (I’m glad to see the mailing lists are back up)

glad to see this too ;^) - and thanks for the quick feedback !

> There haven’t been any Apple Java updates since 10.9 came out; maybe earlier.
>
> You will need need to download a JDK from Oracle.
> There is also a legacy Java package from Apple to provide Java-1.6, which we
> really recommend only for packages which don’t build against newer Java
> versions:
> You may not have had this problem earlier because nothing you had installed
> needed Java.

downloaded jdk1.8 from oracle and all went back to normal -
not sure what java is needed for in any of the packages that i use but i guess
this just reflects how intricate dependencies can be.
anyway thanks a lot for the fix !

cheers,
jeanfrancois