On 2015 Aug 26, at 12:31 AM, Jacques Bloch <jacques.bl...@ur.de> wrote:

> I am confused by the info on the fink web page
> http://finkproject.org/download/. It says:
>
> Use apt-get. Apt-get will fetch and install binary packages for you, saving
> compiling time. You should either use this method or the Fink Commander
> binary method (above) if you don't have the Developer Tools installed.
> To update fink open a Terminal.app window and type sudo apt-get update ; sudo
> apt-get install fink
> Once you've updated fink, you can install other packages, using the same
> syntax, e.g sudo apt-get install gimp to install the Gimp. Note, however,
> that not all fink packages are in binary form.
>
> Somehow I always had the impression that one should use "fink install". Where
> does suddenly the apt-get install come from?

        Apt-get did not suddenly arrive, it was always there as an alternate
method.  "fink install gimp" should always work, while "sudo apt-get install
gimp" will only work if the repository has a suitable binary for you.

sent from Mountain Lion

Zoƫ: Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other
people killed. You can look it up later.