Dear All,
      If can confirm the latest patch octave-3.8.2-9 builds.
Thanks very much to Alex, Richard et al.

Best wishes
       James.

Alexander Hansen wrote:
On Nov 4, 2015, at 06:49, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 4, 2015, at 05:08, Richard Walker <walkerricha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just noting a "me too" for the problem with Octave 3.8.2 as noted in the
recent changes to octave-3.8.2.info, i.e.,
"./octave.ops:60: Argument of \\ has an extra }.",
on two separate Mac installations (home and work, both 10.11, both also with
TeX Live 2015 installed, if that matters).

It might.  The octave build tries to use fink’s texlive packaging, and that’s
all I have for TeX.  That may explain why I can’t trigger this error.

I note the comment "the Debian patch from
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=790626 which is
supposed to fix the problem _triggers_ it for me.  Applying the patch
..."

But the Debian patch is _two_ files:

xbackslash-texinfo.diff: which is referenced in octave-3.8.2.info Revision 7
debian/patches/dont-use-included-texinfo-texmfcnf: which _isn't_

See:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-octave/octave.git/commit/?h=3.8
for both files.

The Debian bug report that I was looking at where these were referenced was
incomprehensible to me, with a bunch of undefined acronyms, so I honestly
couldn’t tell what was applicable where.

I have done a test after applying both patches ...
need to run automake after applying dont-use-included-texinfo-texmfcnf.

The second patch suppresses the use of the texmf.cnf and texinfo.tex
files included
in the doc directory.

After aclocal, automake, etc., a build succeeded.

What is in the “etc.” there?
Could you give me a _detailed_ list of the post-patching commands in order,
please, rather than leaving me to guess what needs to be run?  I don’t do a lot
of tweaking of packages where I have to run the autotools manually.  Usually I
just hope that “autoreconf -f” does the job.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

That being said, I just put out Octave-3.8.2-9, which uses both Debian patches
and runs “autoreconf -fi” after patching but before running the configure
script.

It builds for me, but since I don’t normally trigger the error, I’m not really
in a position to test this properly.