Alexander,

Thanks for your advice. I'm not entirely out of the woods yet. After three rounds of "selfupdate", "scanpackages" (recommended during "selfupdate"), and "update-all", I still get error messages, but different after each iteration.

Yet when I look at "list intalled" the collection of installed items seems complete; I've been using fink for years, have a sizable colleection of packages, and the ones that I use most often are, at least, al there.

But when I test them out (X11 dependent ones), I get know graphics output. I suspected XQuartz, and so updated it to v.2.7.8 (Im running Mac OS 10.10.5). Now that new XQuartz program won't start! Of course, that's not your problem (though I'd appreciate any wisdom on XQuarz compatibility issues).

I don't want you assistance to go unanswered. But, as my highschool Latin teacher used to say: "Non progretti regretti est".

Bob Wohlhueter