Before I leave, I just want to say a BIG thank you to all for the help
and support over the years.  It has been very much appreciated and has
enabled me to get much more done than I would have fighting the problems
on my own.  I am now running Linux Mint on my (somewhat aging) Mac
hardware, hence I'm no longer using fink.  Although knowing fink has
certainly made the transition easier.

all the best,
-- Viv

P.S., would I recommend Linux on macs?  Not without knowing more about
your use case: you'd need to try it for yourself.  It (mostly) works for
me, and for older hardware it _may_ be better than upgrading MacOS (I
need security updates).